Dal is usually seen as a humble everyday not-so-interesting dish. But all that can be changed dramatically with a dash of Mustard Oil. Try this recipe and see how this simple Dal comes alive!
Here are the ingredients that you will require:
- Red Lentils: 200 gram
- Mustard Oil: 3 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds: 2 tablespoon
- Tomatoes: 6, coarsely chopped
- Carrot: 1, chopped
- Celery Stalks: 2 large, chopped into small pieces
- Coriander (Dhania) Powder: one and a half teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera): one and a half teaspoon
- Garlic: 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger: One 2-inch piece, finely chopped
- Onion: 2, chopped
- Turmeric (Haldi) Powder: Just a pinch
- Cloves: 4
- Dried Chilli: 1
- Salt and Pepper: to taste
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves: for garnishing
Heat one tablespoon of Mustard Oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions, celery stalks, carrots, garlic, ginger, cloves, cumin seeds, coriander powder and dried chilli. Sauté for around 10 minutes till the vegetables begin to turn brown. Add half the chopped tomatoes and the turmeric powder. Next add some water and the lentils to create a broth and stir for 2 to 3 minutes – then bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the flame to low heat and cover the pan. Let the mixture simmer till the lentils become soft. Now season with salt and pepper and use a blender to make a puree of the entire mixture. Keep the pureed contents in the original pan.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of Mustard Oil in another pan and sauté the Mustard Seeds till they splutter. Add the remainder of the chopped tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
Use the contents of the second pan to garnish the pureed mixture in the first pan.
Garnish your Dal with Coriander Leaves and serve hot. This dish is best eaten with steaming hot rice.